Buckshaw Urban Village, Chorley, Lancashire
Extensive and long standing involvement in the planning and masterplanning of this flagship project, one of the largest brownfield regeneration projects in the UK which will ultimately yield around 3,400 houses and 3 million sq feet of employment floorspace.
- Formerly the largest munitions assembly factory in Europe, extending over an area of 350Ha, the site was identified as a key growth point in Central Lancashire with a sub regional focus for job creation and housing delivery for more than ten years.
- Included a new rail station and planning an extensive movement network.
- The scale of the site and environmental issues associated with it’s former industrial use presented complex issues that needed to be addressed to secure effective and sustainable regeneration.
- Masterplanning was an effective mechanism for the phased implementation of the long-term and privately-funded strategic development.
- The scheme incorporated many innovative approaches to development, including comprehensive sustainable drainage, the remediation and re-use of up to 4 million tonnes of surplus soils to create a structural landscape framework to support future land uses and an integrated transportation framework accommodating pedestrians, cyclists and public transport users as a priority.
- For over 15 years Cass Associates has involved the local community through a series of exhibitions and workshops. Regular ‘user group’ meetings are held and ideas, concerns and information are discussed. This has emerged as an important community forum.
Services provided: Planning, Masterplanning, Landscape Architecture