Discovery City Learning Centre, Wirral
A science based technology centre, conference and library facilities within an existing school site, Discovery City was a zero-energy scheme designed and built within a tight budget as part of the local regeneration plan.
- Part of the City learning Centre programme, the scheme was also important as a ‘hub educational resource’ for the surrounding disadvantaged communities.
- Formed a key part of the borough regeneration programme.
- The scheme was developed in close consultation with a wide range of agencies and community organisations co-ordinated by Wirral Borough Council.
- The modern, open and light appearance of the building, both inside and out, has helped the school attract previously excluded parts of the community and provides a stimulation environment for both students and teachers.
- The building encloses the unsightly existing buildings and provides improvements to access, security and environmental performance.
- Low energy and low cost design and construction including stack effect natural ventilation, natural lighting and rainwater recovery.
- Zero-energy by significantly improving the existing schools energy performance, with no increase in overall energy use.
Services provided: Architecture