Hoddom Castle, Dumfries and Galloway
Detailed design proposal for a new resort village centred around Hoddom Castle, a 16th century scheduled ancient monument, including a 200 room hotel, health spa, two golf courses and 550 residential units.
- Hoddom Castle is surrounded by an extensive range of late 19th century listed buildings, set within a 200ha historic estate and required a detailed assessment of historic structures and comprehensive restoration and conservation proposals.
- The masterplan was based on a thorough analysis of the historic landscape and estate plan and golf courses were carefully related to the existing historic parkland character.
- Careful attention was given to access and circulation to create a high-quality and largely traffic-free environment.
- Low carbon design and renewable energy sources proposed to give BREEAM ‘Excellent’ or ‘Very Good’ throughout.Comprehensive water management incorporated into landscape design, giving detailed consideration to drainage and flood risk issues, including new ‘lochan’ ponds, burns and a restored moat.
- Existing wildlife management plan extended and enhanced.
Services provided: Masterplanning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture and Ecology