Former Horwich Loco Works, Lancashire
Conservation Area regeneration project including the largest remaining group of Victorian locomotive manufacturing sheds in the UK.
- Masterplan for 78 Ha of residential development providing up to 1,700 new homes, 35,000 m² of employment/mixed use commercial space, landscape restoration and decontamination, including new access roads, landforms and waterbodies.
- The scheme retains a group of original Loco Works buildings within the ‘Heritage Core’ area at the centre of the site and will provide for a new access road that will link the site with Horwich Parkway rail station, junction 6 of the M61 and the adjoining Middlebrook Retail, leisure and business park.
- Site one of only two strategic employment locations within Bolton’s Core Strategy.
- Site heavily contaminated and large areas of filled ground on sloping site.
- Challenges included developing realistic proposals for re-use of massive Victorian loco sheds.
- Subsequently appointed directly by English Heritage for Options Appraisal feasibility study and condition study of existing redundant buildings.
Services provided: Masterplanning, Landscape Architecture