Former Rowntree Works, York
The need to respect the integrity of this historical and culturally important site – part of the Rowntree legacy – was paramount, involving complex conservation issues. Public engagement was an important part of the process.
- Acted as lead, planning and landscape masterplanning consultant for proposed mixed use development.
- Integrated working with York City Council on the Development Brief and at the planning application stage.
- Working closely with York City Council we clarified the planning process, releasing the potential for an exciting and innovative development on this historic and significant site.
- The scheme is a combination of new buildings and the conversion of retained historic buildings including the Joseph Rowntree library, the Joseph Rowntree theatre and the former factory canteen.
- We respected the principles of the Joseph Rowntree legacy by ensuring that the local community was fully engaged in the planning process and it’s needs addressed.
- Working with the York City Council we ensured workshops and exhibitions were held in the build-up to the planning applications., and the local community was also involved at public ward committees. Interest and amenity groups were drawn into the planning of the development and feedback received had a significant bearing on the approach to development.
Services provided: Planning; Landscape Architecture