Southport Eco Centre, Merseyside
This competition and multi-award winning building is an exemplar project of sustainable architecture, renewable energy and minimal environmental impact.
- The building occupies a prominent coastal location and marks the main point of arrival for visitors to the sea-front and town-centre.
- Landmark building including a visitors/exhibition centre, conference space and park and ride facility.
- Includes an 11 kw wind turbine, solar and geothermal energy sources, high thermal mass and natural stack effect ventilation.
- The scheme was the centrepiece of Sefton MBC’s Agenda 21 programme and is used as an educational facility for local schools.
- The crescent form of the building creates a sunny, sheltered space for bus passengers, deflecting the prevailing wind.
Services provided: Architecture