Toxteth Firefit, Liverpool
This flagship scheme, in conjunction with Wates Construction, has provided first-class sports, education and leisure facilities alongside a new community fire station. Partially funded by a Government ‘MyPlace’ grant and with Prince’s Trust involvement, the project involved very extensive consultation with the local community and youth engagement.
- Scheme included a working fire station, a Sport England standard mixed-use sports hall with seating for 1500 spectators, a state-of-the-art gymnasium, martial arts and dance studios, 3G external sports pitches, a teenage ‘chill-out’ zone, community cafe and activity rooms.
- Toxteth Fire Fit also houses Everton Free School.
- Inclusive collaboration, especially with the local youth community through a series of design and consultation workshops ensured neighbourhood ‘buy-in’ to the project.
- Managed fast-track concept design and planning application to meet deadline for grant application.
- Co-ordinated and managed ‘value engineering’ process during scheme development.
- Sustainable design, achieving BREEAM ‘Very Good’, incorporating included rainwater harvesting, solar panels and stack effect natural ventilation.
Services provided: Lead consultant, Architecture, Planning, Landscape Architecture